Incorporating selfies into your social media marketing contests is a sound strategy for a number of reasons, not least because it is a fun and easy way for your fans to engage with your brand, and their very nature means people will want to share them - free advertising for you!
Here are 5 Inventive Selfie Contest Ideas for Social Media Marketing (With Real Life Examples) for you to be inspired by:
1. Each month, Lens Village gives prizes away for the most liked and most unique selfies uploaded to Instagram with its unique hashtag, and @mentioning the brand name.
Tagged photos are fed into a live feed on its website to encourage more people to get in on the action. Would love to see this feed on a custom Facebook tab, too.
2. BarkBox invited fans to take selfies in front of a number of its poster ads, dotted around the subway in New York in order to win a 6-month subscription to its service.
The entry requirements read, "Keep your eyes peeled for these pups! When you find one, snap a selfie and use #BarkBoxSubwaySelfie on Twitter and Instagram. The first 10 people to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with selfies featuring ALL 4 ads will win a 6-month subscription to BarkBox!"
3. Fisherman's Friend - a company that makes strong menthol lozenges - asked fans to take selfies to show what happens when they eat one...
No prizes for this one, but a coveted place on the brand's Wall of Fame is reward enough for many people to get involved.
4. Get Your Guide, a company that provides ideas of things to do in vacation hot spots all around the world, asked fans to snap selfies while on holiday. The photos are shared to Facebook, where voting through "likes" decides the winner of a cash prize.
5. Even B2B companies are jumping on the selfie bandwagon. Salesforce invited users of its newest app to show (via a selfie) how they use it within their business, for a chance to win a trip to Dreamforce 2014.
The entry requirements read:
"Take a screenshot of how you use the Salesforce1 Mobile App. Include a description of how you use it to run your business from your phone. Then share on Twitter using hashtag #salesforce1selfie.
Entries will be judged based on these equally weighted criteria:
- business application;
- creative application of Salesforce1; and
- usefulness to employees."
Have you used selfies in your own social media marketing contests, or do you plan to in future? Let me know your ideas in the comments below!